I finished a cute dress for Big Sister a few weeks ago. I love projects like this -- divine fabrics, well-designed patterns, skill-building, and a great fit.
This is the Kate's Dress pattern by Lily Bird Studio. The pattern contains sizes from 12 months to 8. I made a 6, because I cut it out ages ago and didn't get it sewn until recently. Thankfully it still fit my fast-growing girl. I added the band at the bottom, because I was concerned about length.
The instructions are very clear and never confusing, and the dress goes together very well. The seam allowance included is 1/4 inch, which seems unusually small for a woven garment, and it doesn't leave any room for adjustments. It also doesn't leave much room for serging edges, but I made it work. Next time I make the pattern, I'll probably add a little to the seam allowance -- maybe use a 3/8-inch seam allowance.
I love that you make piping for this dress (and you don't even have to cut on the bias!). I've sewn with piping before, but it had never occurred to me to actually make it. And it's easy! Surprisingly easy! I could probably still use a little more care with stitching in the ditch on the curves, but I love the texture that the piping adds.
The back is super cute and easy, with buttons. I adore these handmade buttons from Etsy's from the red kitchen. The details and colors are great, perfect for this cute little dress.
I used a Moda cross weave fabric, in grape. I'm not sure if you can see it in the photos, but it's made with bright blue and magenta fibers, which together look purple when woven together. It feels wonderful, and it's great to work with. It's a fairly light fabric, so I added a voile lining, sewn right onto the bottom of the facing. Worked beautifully. The accent fabric is Lecien Petite Fleur in lavender, which appears to be sold out, but I've linked to a similar one.
Funny facial expression, but you can see the fit.
I think this pattern is worth every penny. You can achieve totally different looks by putting the accent fabrics in different places (piping only, on flutter sleeves, etc.). And there's another, more square-shaped bib piece included. The design reminds me of some of the dresses in Japanese pattern books, but much more cost-effective, and the pattern is in English.
I've got my eyes on some other Lily Bird Studio patterns. Can't wait to try them out!